Friday, November 30, 2012

What's for dinner?

Tonight's post was actually meant for last night since that was when the meal was prepared.  However, I got tied up in posting the first two posts and trying to get the rest of the blog in place and never quite got around to writing it up.  Since tonight is more of the same, I figured it was as good a time as any to write it up.
Last night for dinner I was looking for something quick and easy that could be cooking while I was whipping up a couple of batches of homemade lip butter.  I also was looking for a way to use up leftover homemade chicken noodle soup.  I guess I should be sure to back up and post my recipe for that part before the one for tonight, but forgive me please...I don't have pictures of the soup.

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup (in a pressure cooker)

I used my pressure cooker a couple of days ago (while working on yet more craft projects) to make the chicken soup.  I used
4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 bags of steam fresh frozen vegetables (the kind with corn and asparagus and a bunch of goodies)
1 large chopped onion
1/2 a carton of chicken broth (it was all I had, otherwise I would have used the whole thing)
filled the rest of the way (leaving about one inch from the full line) with water
Seasoned liberally with
garlic powder
salt
pepper
(would have used poultry seasoning if I wasn't out)
2 tbsp Better Than Bouillon Chicken Base
Followed the instructions for a different noodle soup from the cook book that came with the cooker and cooked at 50% for 20 minutes.  I did not like how well the chicken was done so I cooked another 20 minutes at 100% pressure.  I then pulled out all of the chicken onto a plate and used two forks to shred the chicken before adding back into the pot.  I then added
1 bag of egg noodles (1 pound bag)
and cooked at 100% pressure for 5 minutes.
It's soup!

We ate on that for a couple of days but after the first day we noticed that the noodles were really plump and the broth was all gone.  So, this is why I was looking to find another way to serve the dish.

Dinner last night:

Homemade Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole

I used a corelle baking dish for this recipe.  I don't think I sprayed the inside but the dish was so moist, it was not a problem.
Fill baking dish almost to the top with leftover chicken noodle soup (remember, no broth)
Top liberally with a couple of hands full of shredded cheese (use your favorite, I used fiesta blend)
1 roll of buttery rounds crackers (you know the brand) smashed between two pieces of wax paper with a rolling pin
Pour crackers over the "soup"
Slice 1/2 stick of butter into thin slices and place strategically over the top of the casserole
Bake, covered, at 350 for 30 minutes.  Uncover and bake another 10 minutes or until cracker crust is golden brown.
Allow to cool for a few minutes and serve hot.





My only wish with this one is that I would have liked to have crunchy stuff throughout the casserole.  I am definitely open to suggestions as to how to accomplish that so I can try it next time we make this.


No comments: