Monday, December 3, 2012

What's for dinner?

Today I decided I needed to use the spiral sliced smoked Smithfield ham that I had in the refrigerator.  The package did not contain a "ready to make" glaze so I dove into the depths of the pantry.  After jostling the contents, I arose victorious with a jar of Smucker's Apricot Preserves.  I knew I had some crushed pineapple still in the refrigerator so combined the jar of preserves with the pineapple and some brown sugar and set them to heat on the stove.  After heating to a syrup consistency, I covered the ham with about half of the sauce and reserved the other half for dipping.  (I would later combine part of this reserved sauce with some horseradish for my use.  The rest was left for the rest of the family to enjoy horseradish-less.)
While this cooked, covered with aluminum foil, at 325 for 1 hour, I set about choosing the rest of the meal.  I was hoping for some stuffing or even mashed potatoes but found my cabinet was lacking in both departments.  I did discover I had a box of radiatore pasta so decided to make some macaroni and cheese to have with the meal.  1/2 stick of butter melted in a sauce pan and combined with 1/4 cup of flour and 3 cups of shredded fiesta blend cheese.  Add about 2 cups of milk and stir to combine until cheese is thoroughly melted.  Drain pasta and stir sauce and pasta to combine.   Add about 1 cup of mozzarella cheese and stir until melted.  final accompaniments were some green beans for the boys, some seasoned cabbage for me and my daughter.  I had a loaf of Everything French bread in the cupboard so I sliced that, buttered and sprinkled with garlic and Italian Seasoning.  I then increased the temperature of the oven to 425, uncovered the ham and baked the ham on the bottom rack with the pan of bread on the top rack for 5 minutes.

Dinner is served!

No comments: